I'm sitting here watching Hilary and Barack on 60 Minutes. For some reason they just don't get me excited. I mean, I wouldn't move to Canada if one of them was elected but there's something missing from each.
Here are just a few reasons why I'd love to see Bloomberg run (and win!).
- He's a self-made man
- He has an MBA -- he's pro-business
- Amazing philanthropist
- He's from Massachusetts (so am I)
- He's a social liberal
- He's a fiscal conservative
- Supports government involvement in climate change and strongly in favor free trade
- He's short
- He got rid of smoking in bars in New York (this eventually spread throughout the U.S. and Europe)
- He has a 30 year plan for global warming -- what mayor has a 30 year plan for global warming?
- He's adapted his politics to the city he governs -- New York is a luxury city so people have to pay high taxes to live here
- He acknowledges that taxes are a necessary evil
In the end, I don't think he's going to run. I wouldn't want him to be a spoiler and he wouldn't want be one either. However, if there is a real opportunity -- even in 2012 -- I'd happily join his campaign.